2016-05-10: Job: Visualization researcher position at FH Potsdam (Deadline 27 May 2016)
Information visualization researcher (fixed term) wanted
University of Applied Sciences
Departments: Social Sciences, Architecture and Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, Design, Information Sciences
The University of Applied Sciences Potsdam (FHP) is an innovative, forward-looking and practically oriented university. Since it was founded in 1991, the university has become an important pillar in the knowledge landscape of the region. At the present time students have 23 Bachelor's, Master's and diploma courses from which to choose offering strong career prospects. With 100 professors we currently serve around 3600 students. The professors are supported in this by approximately 300 further members of staff. FHP guarantees clear structures, small seminar groups, interdisciplinarity and close partnerships between teachers and students.
The Research Professorship for Information Visualization & Management at the Urban Futures Institute for Applied Research is seeking a
salary group of TV-L E13
Requisition No.: 21 / 2016
to support inter- and transdisciplinary research for a fixed term of 15 months at 30 week hours (75%) starting at the earliest possible date.
The Urban Futures Institute for Applied Research studies the transformation of urban systems, which comprise social, technological and material change processes and their interdependencies. Closely aligned with these topics, the FHP will launch a new master’s degree program on Urban Futures in the Winter term 2016/17. Between the Institute for Applied Research and the Department for Design the Urban Complexity Lab constitutes an interdisciplinary research space, in which novel visualization techniques are developed for urban data. With the help of visualization methods, the depth and dynamics of cities should be made visible in innovative and insightful ways. For these research and teaching activities we are seeking a research associate with expertise in one or more of the following research areas: information visualization, interface design, visual analytics, geovisualization, smart cities. As the institute strives for a close collaboration between the interdisciplinary professorships and researchers, interdisciplinarity and good communication skills are important requirements for joint work. The central areas of responsibility are the following:
- Supporting the further development of the research profile of the Institute for Applied Research;
- Conception and execution of research projects in above mentioned areas;
- Teaching activities in the area of information visualization and related areas;
- Development of own doctoral research project in said research areas is possible.
- Graduate degree (Diplom/Master) in Computer Science, Interaction Design, Geography/ Geoinformatics, Computational Visualistics, Information Science
- Experience with creating information visualizations, digital maps, geovisualizations, mobile applications, and/or web interfaces
- Interest in researching urban interrelationships using visualizations and maps
- Willingness to engage in the teaching activities for the Urban Futures Master
- Experience with authoring academic publications in English
The University of Applied Sciences Potsdam makes an effort to raise the ratio of women in its workforce and therefore especially invites women to apply. Applications from people with severe disabilities with equal qualifications will be treated preferentially.
The University of Applied Sciences Potsdam sees itself as a family friendly university.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Dörk at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application as a single PDF file using above requisition number with the usual attachments until 27 May 2016 to email@example.com