2012-05-22: Job: Computer science researcher in visualization, Centre de Recherche Public - Gabriel Lippmann, Luxembourg, Europe
Reference : ISC-100512-CHREVISU
The Centre de Recherche Public - Gabriel Lippmann, a fast growing public establishment for applied scientific research and technology transfer in Luxembourg, has an opening on a permanent contract basis for its ‘Informatics, Systems and Collaboration’ Department (ISC) for:
a computer science researcher in visualization (m/f)
The researcher will join the "Visual Informatics" team within the ISC Department.
The "Visual Informatics" team regroups the ISC projects related to information visualization, visual analytics, data processing (e.g. clustering), mobile computing, multimedia and human-computer interaction.
Research projects from the "Visual Informatics" team cover a complete scope from basic research (e.g. PhD theses) to applied research in cooperation with public or private partners.
Among others, the team has produced the visualization software called Calluna (see www.calluna.lu) illustrating its ability to imagine innovative concepts and to transform them into usable tools. Team members are coming from various countries and have complementary cultures, skills and hobbies, contributing to a dynamic, result-oriented and cooperative mind-set.
Duties and responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be working in an applied research team, requiring both scientific skills and the ability to contribute to applied projects with (non- academic) external partners. Tasks and duties include among others software design and development, data processing, tests, documentation, participation in the planning and implementation of experiments, writing of publications, conference participation etc…
The researcher is also expected to play an active role in the construction of the fast-growing team.
The candidate shall finally provide services internally and/or externally in the framework of cross-department projects or participate in public outreach activities.
- Candidates shall hold a PhD, a Master degree (or equivalent) in Computer Sciences or Information Technology.
- Proven scientific and/or industrial experience in one of the fields studied in the "Visual Informatics" team: information visualization, visual analytics, data processing, mobile computing, multimedia or human-computer interaction. However, candidates with experience in other fields and willingness to work in the "Visual Informatics" domains are also welcome.
- From a technology perspective, candidates must have strong skills in software design and development. Ideal candidates should master Java language, related development tools as well as XML language and tools.
- Experience in web development, performance optimisation or mobile computing will be considered an asset.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, be able to take initiative, prioritize and work under set timelines, as well as the ability to work autonomously as well as in a team.
- The candidate must be fluent in English (scientific exchanges) and French (administrative language), any additional language will be considered as an advantage.
Candidates who are interested in that position should send their application (with the above reference) including CV, motivation letter, names of two or three referees, a list of research projects and publications, diploma and possible work certificates, either by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (format .doc or .pdf) or by mail to:
Centre de Recherche Public - Gabriel Lippmann
Service Ressources Humaines
41, rue du Brill