2010-06-01: Open Position - Visualization Research Scientist - Agilent Technologies (Santa Clara, CA, USA
- Job Title : Software Research Scientist, Information Visualization
Description : Want to go further in Research & Development? The Measurement Research Lab is the applied research unit of the Technology Leadership Unit within Agilent's Electronic Measurement Group. We will conduct applied research into information visualization and visual analytic tools that enable both research and electrical engineers to analyze and interpret large amounts of electronic measurement data from a variety of electronic and network test platforms.
This position is for a research scientist that will define and build compelling, leading-edge experimental software systems that will pave the way for exciting new Agilent products addressing these measurement domains. Areas of possible focus include:
• Visual integration of diverse data at multiple levels of abstraction and from multiple, linked perspectives.
• Information exploration tools that enable the user to interpret data coming from multiple measurement platforms.
• Intuitive user navigation of large and possibly disjoint data sets.
• Graphical presentation of complex data and derived information, including non-structured information such as scientific text.
• Multi-modal interaction - augmentation of the visual channel with sonification or haptic interfaces.
• Representation of information over multiple spatial and/or temporal dimensions.
.• Collaborative sensemaking - information sharing, presentation, annotation.
• Representing uncertainty - visualizing contradictory information, alternatives, imprecision.
Location is Santa Clara, CA (preferred) or Edinburgh, UK.
• PhD or equivalent research experience in information visualization, computer science, mathematics or related field.
• A minimum of 3-5 years postgraduate experience (academic or industrial) preferred.
• A demonstrated record of scientific contribution and publication.
• Demonstrated success in envisioning, creating, leading and pursuing broad, independently initiated strategic projects in information visualization and/or visual analytics.
• Outstanding software development skills, particularly in exploratory prototyping, including fluency in object-oriented programming and user interface programming, preferably in Java, C++ and/or C#.
• A history of strong contribution in working with scalable systems, very large datasets and integrating software tools into larger systems to solve complex problems.
• Flexibility in applying skills to new problem domains with the cooperation of appropriate domain experts.
• Excellent leadership, teamwork, problem solving and communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience in information visualization and/or visual analytics applications applied to areas such as electronic test and measurement.
. • Experience with stochastic/statistical analysis methods, and data mining techniques.
• Experience in information retrieval and human-computer interaction technologies, particularly in understanding how user(s) needs are determined and corresponding prototypes developed and evaluated
• Familiarity with web development technologies (Ajax, Rails, Media Wiki, XML)
Appropriate citizenship required per country: In the US, candidate must have permanent right to work in the US; In Edinburgh, candidate must have EU citizenship.
Please contact us at: http://jobs.agilent.com/index.html using requisition number: 2034214