2010-05-09: CFP: VAKD @ ICDM 2010
Call for Papers - VAKD '10
IEEE ICDM WORKSHOP ON VISUAL ANALYTICS AND KNOWLEDGE DISCOVERY: INTEGRATING AUTOMATED ANALYSIS, INTERACTIVE EXPLORATION, ANALYTICS AND VISUAL REASONING
A full-day workshop in conjunction with the 10th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Sydney, Australia, December 13, 2010.
The goal of Visual Analytics is to derive insight from massive, dynamic, ambiguous, and often conflicting data; detect the expected and discover the unexpected; provide timely, defensible, and understandable assessments; communicate the assessment effectively for action. The power of today's computers combined with efficient pattern recognition abilities and domain knowledge of human analysts is a challenging and very promising road in dealing with large amounts of complex data. It is a major driving force for solutions for information overload in many areas.
The objective of this workshop is to bring together researchers and practitioners in visual analytics; provide a forum for presentation and discussion of the both mature and new hot ideas, promote research and developments in visual analytics and supporting disciplines, and identify the short- and long-term research directions in the field.
- July 23, 2010, 23:59 UTC-11 Paper/challenge submissions
- September 20, 2010 Notifications of acceptance
- October 11, 2010 Camera ready papers
- December 13, 2010 Workshop
We encourage submission of unpublished original research papers (research paper), well written, thought-provoking position papers that stimulate a discussion on the future of the field (position paper), papers demonstrating the capabilities of the combination of automated analysis and interactive visualization for the analysis of the VAST challenge datasets (challenge paper), and recently published outstanding works, given that the original papers are adequately cited and the status is clearly stated in the contribution (outstanding contribution paper). We encourage (but do not strictly require) all contributors to use the challenge tasks or datasets to demonstrate their contributions.
The length of the papers should be 10 pages or less in IEEE 2-column format and they should be submitted by 23 July 2010 23:59 UTC-11. See the workshop web site for detailed submission instructions.
Visual Analytics Challenge
The workshop proposes a number datasets along with a number of selected challenges to evaluate Term papers writing the visual analytics methods and methodologies. The datasets and challenges come from VAST 2008-2010 challenges. More information is available at the VAKD '10 Web site.
- Mark A. Whiting and Jean Scholtz, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, USA
- Catherine Plaisant, University of Maryland, USA
- Simeon Simoff, University of Western Sydney, Australia
- Pak Chung Wong, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, USA
- Mike Sips, GFZ German Research Centre for GeoScience, Germany
- Arturas Mazeika, Max-Planck-Institut Informatik, Germany
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web site: http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/VAKD10