2008-10-09: Open Position: Visualization Research Scientist at Agilent Laboratories
Requisition ID: 2027836
Job Title : Research Scientist, Visualization
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Relocation Benefits: Yes
PLEASE NOTE: Members of Agilent Labs will be at IEEE VisWeek 2008 (Oct. 19-24). While at the conference, please check the conference job bulletin board for further contact information if you would like to talk with us there. You can also apply directly by going to our web site at http://www.agilent.com/go/jobs.
Agilent Laboratories is a world-leading industrial research center whose purpose is to power Agilent Technologies' growth through breakthrough technologies. Labs focuses on Agilent's future to ensure leadership in Agilent's existing businesses and to provide technology foundations that can create new businesses for the company going forward.
We are conducting applied research into information visualization and visual analytic tools that enable scientists and engineers to analyze and interpret large amounts of measurement data in a variety of domains including, biology, chemistry, electronic test and measurement and operational support systems. This position is for a research scientist that will define and build compelling, leading-edge experimental software systems that will pave the way for exciting new Agilent products addressing these measurement domains. Areas of possible focus include:
- Visual integration of diverse data at multiple levels of abstraction and from multiple, linked perspectives.
- Information exploration tools that enable the user to interpret data coming from multiple measurement platforms.
- Intuitive user navigation of large and possibly disjoint data sets.
- Graphical presentation of complex data and derived information, including non-structured information such as scientific text.
- Multi-modal interaction – augmentation of the visual channel w/ sonification, haptic interfaces.
- Representation of information over multiple spatial and/or temporal dimensions.
- Collaborative sensemaking – information sharing, presentation, annotation.
- Representing uncertainty – visualizing contradictory information, alternatives, imprecision.
- PhD or equivalent research experience in computer science, mathematics or related field.
- A minimum of 3-5 years postgraduate experience (academic or industrial) and a demonstrated record of scientific contribution and publication
- Demonstrated success in envisioning, creating, leading and pursuing broad, independently initiated strategic projects in information visualization and/or visual analytics.
- Outstanding software development skills, particularly in exploratory prototyping, including fluency in object-oriented programming and user interface programming, preferably in Java, C++ and/or C#.
- A history of strong contribution in working with scalable systems, very large datasets and integrating software tools into larger systems to solve complex problems.
- Flexibility in applying skills to new problem domains with the cooperation of appropriate domain experts.
- Excellent leadership, teamwork, problem solving and communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in information visualization and/or visual analytics applications applied to areas such as bioinformatics, chemical analysis, electronic test and measurement.
- Familiarity with web development technologies (Ajax, Rails, Media Wiki, XML).
- Experience in information retrieval and human-computer interaction technologies, particularly in understanding how user(s) needs are determined and corresponding prototypes developed and evaluated.
- Experience with stochastic/statistical analysis methods, and data mining technologies.
Agilent will not sponsor work authorization for this position