Objectives of Information Design
As I see it, the primary objectives of information design are:
1. Develop documents that are comprehensible, rapidly and accurately retrievable, and easy to translate into effective action.
2. Design interactions with equipment that is easy, natural, and as pleasant as possible. This involves solving many of the problems in the design of the human-computer interface.
3. Enable people to find their way around in three-dimensional space (especially urban, but also recently virtual) with comfort and ease.The values that distinguish information design from other kinds of design are efficiency and effectiveness at accomplishing the communicative purpose.
Its mandate is to optimize the layout of information which facilitates navigation, readability and immediate understanding of what the information communicates. The purpose of Information Design is to Simplify, Integrate, Filter and Selectively Emphasize information.
Information Design is all about the psychology and physiology of how users access, learn, and remember information; the impact of colors, shapes, and patterns, learning styles.
Information Design takes pride in analyzing and identifying what works, what doesn't and why, in those situations where information is to be easily understood and comprehended.
Information Design usually encompasses many different responsibilities and tasks, including:
a) Analysis of users' needs and learning styles
b) Selection of the most effective layouts, colors, fonts, and graphics
c) Identification of most effective navigational infrastructures
d) Application of principles of simplification, synthesis and integration
e) Testing of readability, contrast and legibility in adverse situations and for handicapped users
- [Horn, 2000]: Robert E. Horn, in Richard S. Wurman, Robert Jacobson, Information Design, MIT Press, 2000.
- [Rossi, 2001] Luigi Canali De Rossi: What is Information Design. MasterViews International. Created at: November 15, 2001. Retrieved at: November 2004. http://www.masterviews.com/2001/11/15/what_is_information_design.htm
- [Tactical Technology Collective, 2008]: Tactical Technology Collective, Visualizing Information for Advocacy - An Introduction to Information Design, January 2008. http://www.soros.org/initiatives/information/focus/communication/articles_publications/publications/visualizing_20080311/visualizing_20080311.pdf
- [Thissen, 2004]: Frank Thissen, Lexikon des Digitalen Informationsdesigns: Informationsdesign, 2004.