Application of information visualization on the computer involves providing means to transform and represent data in a form that allows and encourages human interaction. Data can therefore be analyzed by exploration rather than pure reasoning; users can develop understanding for structures and connections in the data by observing the immediate effects their interaction has upon the visualization.
Information visualization is applied in countless areas covering every industry and all tasks where understanding of the intrinsic structure in data is crucial.
Some prominent examples are:
- Economical/financial analysis
- Representation of large hierarchies
- Medical training/assistance
- Robert Voigt, Classification and Definition of Terms, 2002.
- http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/Gallery/ has a lot of (positive and negative) examples including historical milestones.