2021-07-01: Job: PhD Position in Information Visualization / Visual Analytics at Linköping University, Sweden. (Deadline: August 20, 2021)
Your work assignments
As a doctoral student, you devote most of your time to doctoral studies and the research projects of which you are part. Your work may also include teaching or other departmental duties, up to a maximum of 20% of full-time.
The focus of this advertised PhD position and the corresponding research project will be on the web-based visualization of large and complex, multivariate networks and/or text data. Related aspects, such as network embeddings, visual analysis of multilayer networks, or explainable AI for network/text analyses, might also be studied. The PhD student will develop foundational visualization principles, techniques and visual analytics tools for analyzing heterogeneous network/text data coming from various data sources, such as social media data or data sets from specific application domains. The work will even include the development and provisioning of a suitable backend infrastructure to serve the web-based, interactive visual display with the needed original and derived data streams, and/or user data collected during the analytical process (for instance, to provide collaboration features and/or adaptivity).
Duties consist mainly of the following:
- Graduate studies in the field of information visualization/visual analytics, with a doctoral degree as the goal. The PhD thesis should be completed and defended within the official appointment duration of five years (4 years graduate studies, 1 year departmental tasks).
- Research in the field information visualization/visual analytics.
- Regularly present intermediate research results at international conferences and workshops, and publish them in conference proceedings and journals.
- Close collaboration with the other group members in an interdisciplinary research environment as well as with domain experts.
- At most 20% of the total working time will be dedicated to teaching and other administrative departmental tasks
Note that a PhD position in Sweden is a salaried employment with the right to social benefits and paid vacations.
The advertised position will be placed in the iVis group led by Professor Andreas Kerren. The research group mainly focuses on the explorative analysis and visualization of typically large and complex information spaces, for example in the life sciences, humanities, or environmental sciences. Our research vision is to attack the big data challenge by a combination of human-centered data analysis and interactive visualization for decision making. These research topics are highly relevant for academia and economy as both science and industry make increasing use of data-intensive technologies.
You have graduated at Master’s level in the area of computer science, media technology, computer engineering, information technology or closely related topic or completed courses with a minimum of 240 credits, at least 60 of which must be in advanced courses. Alternatively, you have gained essentially corresponding knowledge in another way.
The work of a PhD student is driven by engagement, curiosity, creativity, problem solving, the ability to work independently, but also the ability and willingness to collaborate with fellow colleagues from different backgrounds. Required qualifications are:
- A Master’s degree in the area of computer science, media technology, computer engineering, information technology or closely related topic from a recognized university.
- A successfully finished Master’s thesis performed in a field related to Information Visualization, Visual Analytics, Human-Computer Interaction, or Data Science.
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written.
How to apply
Interested candidates find detailed application information including terms of employment, needed documents, and contact details on the following web page
Online applications (reference number: LiU-2021-02831) will be received until August 20, 2021.