2013-03-17: Job: Assistant/Associate Professor Position in Computer Science (for Candidates with a Strong Expertise in Information Visualisation), Vrije Univeriteit Brussel, Belgium (Deadline: 28 March 2013)
Assistant/Associate Professor Position in Computer Science Vrije Universiteit Brussel -Department of Computer Science (Faculty of Sciences)
A tenured professor position (assistant or associate) in Computer Science (in the domain of Web and Information Systems Engineering) is available in the Department of Computer Science (Faculty of Sciences) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium.
- Planned starting date: October 1, 2013
- Required degree: PhD in (Computer) Science/Engineering
- Application deadline: March 28, 2013
The candidate is expected to reinforce the research of the WISE Lab (http://wise.vub.ac.be) by initiating and conducting research in a field that is related but complementary to the WISE lab's current research on Web and Information Systems Engineering. Special preference will be given to candidates with a strong expertise in information visualisation, information retrieval or information (data) mining.
The applicant has to fit in the research culture of the WISE lab, which puts a strong emphasis on conceptual modelling, design techniques and methods, semantics and usability, as well as on engineering methodologies, tool development and software frameworks.
The selected candidate is expected to contribute to the general duties of the department and the research group as specified by the university for the grade given (i.e. supervision of PhD and MSc students as well as launching and seeking financing for new research projects).
The teaching load associated with a full-time appointment includes teaching general Computer Science courses at the bachelor level as well as specialised, research related courses at the master level. The concrete list of courses will be negotiated based on the selected candidate’s expertise but will be situated in the broad field of databases, information systems and/or web systems.
- The candidate should preferably have a strong expertise in one of the following domains: information visualisation, information retrieval, or information (data) mining.
- The applicant has to have outstanding academic credentials and an excellent publication record that demonstrate the required expertise.
- The applicant is expected to have experience with supervising PhD and MSc students and with managing research.
- The applicant has to have a track record or has to demonstrate potential for launching and seeking financing for new research projects.
- The candidate should be able to teach both in English and in Dutch. A candidate without knowledge of Dutch must be prepared to learn Dutch in a reasonable period of time, which is a condition for a permanent position after 3 years.
- Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply as they are under-represented in this field.
- The candidate is expected to endorse the educational vision of the university (full text available on the university web site).
- Every first appointment is dependent upon the successful delivery of a teaching session.
More details about the position and the application procedure are available at: http://vub.talentfinder.be/en/vacature/3948/we-2013-003-senior-academic-staff--senior-lecturer--100--computer-science--web--information-systems/.
If you have questions about the position please feel free to contact:
- Prof. Olga De Troyer, Olga.DeTroyer@vub.ac.be, +32 2 629 3504
- Prof. Beat Signer, Beat.Signer@vub.ac.be, +32 2 629 1239