2011-09-27: Job: Visual Analytics Designer (Contract to Permanent Role), Oculus Info Inc., Toronto, ON, CANADA
Oculus specializes in research, design and development of visual analytics software systems for high-profile clients and organizations. We are recognized world-leaders in mission-critical decision-support applications utilizing 2D and 3D visualization technology, mobile systems and advanced user interface concepts.
The applicant should bring creativity and vision to projects and be able to execute independently or as part of a small team. The ability to learn rapidly and a willingness to explore are essential.
Involvement in all stages of the software life cycle from concept to production to evaluation including:
- Brainstorming meetings with end users and stakeholders
- Requirements and detailed task analysis
- Participate in and/or lead concept, design and workflow reviews with users
- Rapidly understand new and challenging problem domains and apply critical thinking to find solutions
- Conceptualize and design visual expressions of information and interactions to solve critical customer information requirements
- Produce mockups using tools such as Illustrator, Flash and PowerPoint
- Create detailed wireframes describing workflows
- Produce design documentation and best practices
- Work side-by-side with software engineers to define interactions and revise designs in response to user feedback or technical limitations that arise in the development process
- Create finished artwork (e.g. icons and UI components) for use in the software
- Design and execute observational and quantitative evaluations of the software and revise designs accordingly
- Communicate how to best leverage capabilities of new analytical tools (conceive and conduct software demos and training)
- Conceive, design and produce communication materials (e.g. posters and handouts)
Required Skills and Experience
- Background in Interaction Design or Human-Computer Interaction (MSc or 5 years experience preferred)
- Understanding of interaction design for mobile platforms
- Familiarity with concepts of data visualization, user interface design and workflow design
- Experience with human-centered computing, including but not limited to visualization, visual analytics, human-computer interaction (HCI), and graphics
- Experience with advanced analytical capabilities, including but not limited to computational linguistics, machine learning and adaptive analytics is an advantage
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Office
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Published peer-reviewed author is an advantage
The compensation for this role is very competitive. Please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate your response however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants must be able to meet security clearance and police background requirements. No phone calls or agencies please.
For more information about Oculus, visit our website at http://www.oculusinfo.com/